For the love-addled and romance-anxious souls out there, it's no surprise that Valentine's Day, the High Holy Day for romantic love, is almost upon us. For the rest of us -- or at least me -- it snuck up with the stealth of 10 zillion red-colored gift cards in stores across America ever since December 26th. What that means to a semi-love-cynic workaholic like me is that it was too subtle -- Ha! -- the net result being that this Call for Entries comes just a tad later than I had intended.
So here are the rules:
- Post your Valentine-themed essay, story, rant, poem, whatever on your blog. (If you have blogging privileges here, post it here ... and use the Feminist Valentine Awards tag.)
- Insert this code anywhere in your post:
- Optional: Add a comment to this post, and include a snippet of a paragraph or two from your post, and a link directly to the rest.
- If you don't have a blog, just post the whole thing here.
- Read the other entries posted here. (Why is explained below.)
All entries will be "judged" on:
- The fact that they entered. (All non-trolling entries win an award. Hey, it's Valentine's Day! It's already a difficult enough time for many folks! But our apologies to anti-feminists out there; you already run the world, so you don't need any linky prizes)
- The topic and tone of the entry. (That will lead to some hopefully pithy, humorous or snarky award name.)
- Popularity. (Yes, in addition to the "juried" awards, we will have an online poll here on the Big Day, with the poll winner getting a most-popular award.)
- Deadline. (At some point, we'll have to get on with life. So let's say Midnight EST on the night of the 14th. But the poll will be up earlier that day, so late entries might miss out on the most-popular award's voting.)
So write away. Link to it here.
(For inspiration, check out last year's Feminist Valentine Blog Award Winners.)