So I'm listening to the crazy hoohah being offered up by pundits about whom Barack Obama should pick for a running mate. Jim Webb? Oh, puhleeze, not a coathanger Dem! Wes Clark? He was interesting 4 years ago, but he started flat and ended flat. Obama is already calm, we don't want to put people to sleep. Hillary? I don't think that will happen, or is even a good idea.
So here's a wild idea: Christine Todd Whitman. What? Am I crazy? Hold a sec:
- She's pro-choice, so nix that one concern about Republicans.
- She quit as EPA head for the Bush Administration over their unwillingness to address pollution and global warming.
- As former governor of New Jersey, she's known and trusted by northeasterners as an administrator. She's not an ideologue.
- She's a Republican, so disgruntled Hillary supporters turning a jaundiced eye towards the Democrats have something to think about.
- She's known and respected by liberal pundits and personalities, including Bill Moyers.
- She's a fiscally conservative, socially liberal Republican, making it harder for the wingnuts to attack her without alienating much of their base.
- As an advocate of pushing the Republicans back towards the center, and opponent of third-party endeavors, she plays into Obama's uniter message.
Okay, so maybe it's crazy, and she's not likely to bite on the idea, but you have to admit, it's an interesting idea.