Hello, Mr. Rabin-Havt- What can the progressive blogsphere do to help Senator Reid fight for justice for America? There are three urgent matters pending that we must not lose. First, the Supreme Court nomination(s). This is not just about abortion. It’s about whether women are people, and whether we have sovereignty over our own bodies. The government shouldn’t intercede in health matters, nor is it in the business of defining morality for a free society. Control of one’s own body is the most basic liberty imaginable. In addition, the Right is making a concerted effort to make Alberto Gonzales seem moderate. If he is confirmed as the nominee, it will send a message to the world that we approve of torture. It will also put a man who has sought to justify fascist techniques like torture and violations of habeas corpus into a position where he can negate the ability of the court to check the Republican majority in Congress. Alberto Gonzales must not be appointed to the Supreme Court. Nor should any of Bush’s reactionary, misogynistic extremists. Second, Karl Rove allegedly outed a CIA operative working on weapons of mass destruction while we are at war. Everyone is talking about him committing perjury when interviewed by the investigators. What about treason? He demonstrably impeded the war effort and put agents and others in harm's way.
- Does he still have a security clearance? Is he still allowed in the White House?
- Why was a political advisor privy to classified information? Who gave it to him?
- Should a traitor have access to our President in a time of war? Isn't that a breach of security?
- Valerie Plame's contacts may have been murdered; will he be charged with causing any deaths that might have resulted?
- Ms. Plame's training cost millions of dollars, as did setting up her cover. Is Karl planning to pay that back?
- Did the Justice Department know that Rove was the source of the leak from any of its investigation? How long have they known this and allowed him continued access to the White House?
- Why isn't he in jail?
- Why isn't Robert Novak in jail? If he rolled over on Rove, then, again, why isn't he in jail?
- What did Cheney know and when did he know it?
- What did Bush know and when did he know it?
Congressman Conyers has held a hearing regarding the Downing Street Memos, and there is evidence that
- The President lied to Congress, to the UN, and to the American People.
- We had no justification for overthrowing a sovereign government that never threatened us.
- 100,000+ Iraqi citizens have been killed for no reason.
- Nearly 1800 American soldiers have been killed for no reason.
- The Army continues to let contracts to Halliburton in spite of repeated over-charging and fraud. The Vice President has a distinct conflict of interest that must be pursued, and there is evidence that he coordinated some of the contracts.
- The imprisonment of individuals who have not been charged with a crime and who have had no access to the courts is in violation of both the Geneva Conventions and the Constitution.
- Torture has taken place on US bases by US personnel, also in violation of US and international law.
These items constitute High Crimes and Misdemeanors as specified in the Constitution. Everyone in the Administration took an oath to defend the Constitution and has violated those oaths. Why not file Articles of Impeachment before Bush makes his nominations? Do we want someone who is unfit to serve making a decision that may have multi-generational impact on the fate of the American People? Don’t back down, stop apologizing and demand justice. The American People are counting on you.