Mothers and others- mapping the new realities, Part III Matriarchy Defined

Comments

Quick question

You aren't saying there's ever been a historical matriarchy then?

When you say the "evil women oppressing men" matriarchy is contained only in movies are you saying the various feminist utopian fictional accounts are NOT examples of matriarchies? Do you see any feminist utopias as representing a matriarchy?

DavidByron's picture
Posted by DavidByron on 5 March 2005 - 9:43pm
Bite

on something before you swallow your tongue. The women-oppressing men concept of matirarchy is fiction. Yes, there are fictional stories which include more accurate depictions of matriarchy, but I'm not talking about those. No, I am not saying that there has never been an historical matriarchy. There's plenty of evidence that there have been past matriarchies which were deliberately obscured by patriarchal forces.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 5 March 2005 - 10:27pm
Yeah well

I am aware of those supposed matriarchies and they are very much disputed of course. As far as anyone really knows male dominance (not patriarchy in the sense of patrilineal inherentence) is one of the few constants of all societies throughout all human history. Women just too lazy to take charge I guess ;) Of course "as far as anyone knows" is not all that far.

At any rate you're not defining matriarchy on either feminist utopian fiction or possible historic societies but merely as a theoretic system defined by what you just wrote then?

Good. 'Cos frankly those feminist utopian authors are a bunch of nutcases who hate men. Screw them!

DavidByron's picture
Posted by DavidByron on 5 March 2005 - 10:51pm
Sorry to disappoint you

As I said, I do believe in the Ancient Matriarchies. I do not believe that male dominance is universal - simple knowledge of sociology belies that.

Hmmm - I'm a feminist utopian author and I love men... guess that makes you WRONG.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 5 March 2005 - 10:59pm
No that makes me HALF wrong

You are surely a nutcase :)

You've written a utopia? So can I see it? Can I? Huh! Huh! Can I see it?

DavidByron's picture
Posted by DavidByron on 5 March 2005 - 11:04pm
Questions about matriarchy

How does the state religion thing square with the equality and diversity thing? I'm an atheist so your society has no room for me? Or is this a state religion no one cares about --- like Anglicanism in the UK? Or is (1) just your way of saying that a matriarchy will value the environment?

Why do you feel the society needs to be matrilineal if you want gender equality? Is a matriarchy a luddite society that can't tell who the father is? Are you basically against the idea of fatherhood? How does women being in charge of child care square with equality?

I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to go into detail on (4) but surely consensus rule and democratic voting are sort of opposites aren't they?

DavidByron's picture