A Crash course in the Christian Supremacist Movement

Comments

"Christian" theocracy

I grew up in the South (Arkansas)--didn't leave until I was nearly forty. I don't think you are being "dramatic" or alarmist at all. I had to resist the assumption that I was one of them constantly; "You're not going to the crusade?! Your child won't go door to door praising Jesus?!" (She did go to a revival in a little country church with a school friend once--I was terrified--no immunities, you know?--until the evangelist kicked them out for talking on the front row! Made her Daddy proud!)

It worries me that these nutcases have taken over the government and also "scares me shitless" that most people who have no previous knowledge of them are not more alarmed. This is not an issue of tolerance anymore, but a grave threat of a "christian" Fascist Tyranny.

blue rebel's picture
Posted by blue rebel on 11 March 2005 - 9:00am
Armageddonists

That's the part that disturbs me the most -- that they believe we are living in the "end times." In what must be the most perverse and grandiose application of "the universe is expanding so why do my homework?" they seem to believe that they don't need to take responsibility for anything anymore.

Why worry about the environment when The Rapture is coming?

Why worry about fiscal responsibility to our children when The Rapture is coming?

Why give a shit about your fellow humans when The Rapture is coming?

First of all, if The Rapture is coming, it's not a "get out of jail free" card, like they seem to believe. My lay reading -- which was framed for me in a Protestant Sunday School as a child -- is that The Rapture is when people who have taken Jesus into their hearts are saved.

"Yeah, okay, 'Save me, Jesus!' I'm covered now, right? Let's go screw over the undeserving poor now."

They treat Jesus like a party affiliation, like a club membership. Never mind those teachings about the meek and the poor and the money changers. "That crap? You sound like a Communist!"

Eat, drink and be merry, because tomorrow will never come. Go "Christians"!

Posted by media girl on 11 March 2005 - 10:00am
Eat, drink, and be merry

On the subject of "who cares? We're ready" you might like to know the context of "eat, drink, and be merry."

"And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have ample goods

laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, and be merry.'

But God said to him, 'You fool This very night your life

is being demanded of you.'" Luke 12:19-20b (NRSV)

Also,

"If the dead are not raised..." (that is, if life has

no meaning) "...'eat and drink/for tomorrow we die.'"

I Cor. 15:32 (NRSV)

A biblical concordance is a handy thing these days, if for nothing else than to demonstrate these buttwipes know Tim LaHaye

better than the scripture they claim.

blue rebel's picture
Posted by blue rebel on 11 March 2005 - 12:53pm
Thanks for the reference!

I knew I was offering something pithy, but I didn't realize how much pith.

Posted by media girl on 11 March 2005 - 1:05pm
Consider....

"Bolton's former employer, Jesse Helms of North Carolina, said he is "the kind of man I would want to stand with me at Armageddon." " http://www.alternet.org/columnists/story/21467/

These people are going to try and bring on Armageddon. How many people have to die before the people catch on? We have religious fanatics in charge of our Nukes!

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 11 March 2005 - 8:52pm
nukes

That's the core, isn't it: psychotic heretics with nuclear arms.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

blue rebel's picture
Posted by blue rebel on 11 March 2005 - 10:48pm
psychotic heretics with nuclear arms.

I like that formulation. I've been calling them Apocalyptic Moronsâ„¢ for a long time now, because I can never remember how to spell Millen-whatis Dispensa-whatsit.

Nothing New

bellatrys's picture
Posted by bellatrys (not verified) on 12 March 2005 - 4:54pm
formulations

"premillenial dispensationalist" five times fast! I prefer the classic NT formulation "possessed of evil spirit(s)". BTW "premillenial" was nightmared up in the 19th century; isn't it only fair that these nutcases should disappear for another 995 years, since that millenium is past? Another bone to pick with God, sigh.

blue rebel's picture
Posted by blue rebel on 12 March 2005 - 5:58pm
I believe the proper term is

"paranoid schizophrenics."

Posted by media girl on 12 March 2005 - 6:20pm
Except it's sort of turned inside out

What do you call it when everyone else is convinced you're out to get them (because you are)?

bellatrys's picture
Posted by bellatrys (not verified) on 12 March 2005 - 6:31pm
Reality?

Reality?

blue rebel's picture
Posted by blue rebel on 12 March 2005 - 9:44pm
No argument, just a different

No argument, just a different realm of discourse.

blue rebel's picture
Posted by blue rebel on 12 March 2005 - 8:38pm
different strokes

Surely: valid and proper. Simply a matter of different realms of discourse.

blue rebel's picture
Posted by blue rebel on 12 March 2005 - 9:42pm
Perhaps these "christian" Fas

Perhaps these "christian" Fascists should read

"Jesus answered him..."(the devil, lit. h'satan "the opponent")"..it is said (Dt. 6:16) 'Do not put the LORD your God to the Test.'" Luke 4:12 NRSV

Maybe they just carry their Bibles around and beat people over the head with them; they don't open it up and read it.

blue rebel's picture
Posted by blue rebel on 12 March 2005 - 9:15am
How to prepare for a knife fight. . .

Dear fellow blogger,

I share your sentiments and am equally frustrated by those who still try and frame the great national struggle in exclusively political terms.

The danger to the nation from within is, I believe, far greater today than perhaps at any other time in its history, including the civil war years.

I believe that as a nation we are further along down the road to theocracy than msot realize. The history of Christian fundamentalism is a dark and sordid one. Whether Reconstructionist, Dominionist, evangelical, etc. etc., there is a common thread of absolutism with a supremacist theological perspective that is currently being used to lay the foundations of a modern Crusade.

Really nice to know that there are otheres out there who "get it." The time is short as the federal judiciary is well within their grasp if the Frist/Delay crowd follow through with their plans to kill the fillibuster. God help us all if those bastards are allowed to ram their handpicked zealot judiciary nominees through the confirmation process.

I've learned one thing as of late as I watch the demise of American democracy. One important lesson. If one has been invited to a knifefight

then one had better take along a knife and become willing to use it. As brutal as that sounds, metphorically, it is the nature of the challenge before us. The time for anything less than the intelligent use of intellectual and moral force has passed. There can be no capitualtion to these traitorous bastards nor even a hint of compromise. They drew the battle lines and threw down the gauntlet.Let's not let them steal the nation out from underneath us. Not without a spirited and determined fight. I still believe that good can prevail, just maybe.

Sincerely,

Lauren Taylor

laurentayloris's picture
Posted by laurentayloris on 18 April 2005 - 1:17am
Armageddon It

Growing up as an Episcopalian (Christian Lite), I never believed that Armageddon would or could ever occur. But, in the light of today's world, I have to say that I can see it happening. I think the sad thing is that the Book of Revelation is supposed to be a warning rather than a prophecy. The means to destroy the whole Earth now exists and it seems like trigger fingers are getting itchy.

I see many parallels in the rise of Hitler to the rise of George W. Bush. I think the fundamentalist Christian fascist movement has been very successful in worming their tendrils through all facets of the military, government and society. I am doubtful it can be reversed without major bloodshed.

My advice is to keep your head low, stockpile all the gold you can and work towards escaping the United States to a free nation like New Zealand or Holland.

If the US continues it's course, the world will recognize it as a new Nazi nation and band against it. With the formidable forces of the US, there is likely no other choice but for the war to turn nuclear.

With Russia, China and Iran in possession of the Sunburn anti-ship missile, the US Navy can be destroyed, it's ability to project power globally can be contained and hopefully the US will be able to be isolated and neutralized. If the war goes nuclear, Armageddon is indeed upon us and there won't be anywhere to hide.

It is still possible to avoid this destruction, but it is going to take a major effort in educating the public into the machinations of the Christian fascist movement. There is a great deal of hatred and fear in America which makes it difficult for logic and reason to take effect on the average US citizen. The people who are still sane need to reach out and do what they can in speaking to their friends, family and neighbors, writing and visiting their elected representatives and becoming politically active in any way they can.

Otherwise, it's all over and, contrary to popular belief, even Jesus won't be able to save us.

slave2liberty's picture