When blaming the victim isn't enough, charge HER with the crime! [updated again]

Comments

Let me give you some more

Let me give you some more information—something that is only a possibility because The American Street’s Kevin Hayden has known the victim nearly her whole life. He attended the trial.

Hey I can beat that! I knew the person that falsely accused me since she was 16 and I was 20, and she falsely accused me when she was 36, making that 20 years. 20 < 17, so I win!!!!

And now, women have one less reason to come forward—the possible horror of watching their attackers go free while they are found guilty.

Yep, that's true. And because Patrick Fitzgerald tossed Judith Miller in the hoosegow, we potential government sources that want to smear the whistleblowers ALSO have one less reason to come forward!

Oh the humanity!

anon's picture
Posted by anon (not verified) on 4 December 2005 - 8:41pm
(Your webforms silently

(Your webforms silently abuse replies that contain even a single greater than sign.)

Hey I can beat that! I knew the person that falsely accused me since she was 16 and I was 20, and she falsely accused me when she was 36, making that 20 years. 20 is greater than 17 so I win the game of meaningless testimonials!

Yep, that's true. And because Patrick Fitzgerald tossed Judith Miller in the hoosegow, potential government sources that want to smear the whistleblowers ALSO have one less reason to come forward!

Oh the humanity!

anon's picture
Posted by anon (not verified) on 4 December 2005 - 8:44pm
I have no words

...except to say that my heart goes out to every woman who's had the pleasure of knowing you.

Posted by media girl on 4 December 2005 - 9:11pm
I have no words

I have no words

Interesting, that's a bit of a personal jibe at me when I offered none of you. Say, you've visited the Amanda Marcotte school of hate recently haven't you?

Anyway, that's really a sweet offer, but ya know, I don't think they need a cold little turd decorating stinking their stocking this season....

anon's picture
Posted by anon (not verified) on 4 December 2005 - 10:25pm
Women just give you nightmares, don't we?

Poor boy!

Posted by media girl on 4 December 2005 - 11:13pm
Non sequiturs ..

Let me understand you, Anon. You believe this young woman wasn't gang-raped because somebody else lied about being raped by you?

Meteor Blades's picture
Posted by Meteor Blades (not verified) on 5 December 2005 - 1:49am
Burden of proof

I think this exemplifies the problem that judges are too free to follow their opinions.

Unless there's more that I don't know about this story, it sounds like the judge didn't think there was enough evidence to convict the men. But it also doesn't sound like there was any solid evidence to convict the alledged victim of any crime either.

Nonetheless, the judge seemed to have a strong opinion about the case and wanted to make an example. So he acted based on what sounds like no more than a suspicion to punish the girl.

If the legal system requires convictions to be a result of convincing evidence, then this sort of thing should never happen.

Dave's picture
Posted by Dave (not verified) on 5 December 2005 - 7:16pm
I was falsely accused of

I was falsely accused of rape when I was 16. The girl in question apparently accused 4 other men of the same in isolated incidents. She had a lot of problems so rather than indict her for filing false report the sheriff's seargent who took my statement asked that I not tell anyone and please don't sue - I didn't. Even though there are still people in my old h-school who just know that I was accused but never charged and have drawn there own conclusions - I have never breathed a word about what realy happened. That they found no physical evidence, that she had accused 4 others of the same thing and that she had been on and stopped taking her librium. I do not regret it. She apparently is doing well and managed to improve her life in great ways. Those who would question what I did or didn't do aren't people who realy knew me - though I thought few of them did - and not worth worrying about.

It is important in so many ways that women be encouraged to report rape. If they do not more women are likely to suffer. That is why I chose to allow that stigma to remain - the alternative was just not worth it. I also happen to believe that even if a sexual encounter starts consentualy doesn't mean a girl or women can't change her mind. A young woman getting into her first multi partner encounter may well decide she can't go through with it. That does not mean the guys involved can justify raping her because she was "asking" for it - she wasn't. God forbid a boy decides that since his girl may have talked about a multi partner encounter he should decide that means she wants it - I just don't buy it.

As a recent transplant to Portland OR - I am apalled that this is happening not 20 miles from where I now sit. I am more and more dissapointed with this decidedly "liberal" bastion in which I now reside.

DuWayne B.'s picture