Beware the macho liberal "feminist"

Comments

Nearly every time I raise

Nearly every time I raise the issue of misogynist epithets these days, I catch a lot of flak from men (and a few women) who say I'm merely exalting PCism. In the '70s, when some charitable feminists with more important things to do reeducated me, more people seemed receptive to the idea that it exposed some heartfelt sexism to use "pussy" and other words to denigrate a man for being like a woman. Just another area, I suppose, like reproductive rights, where back-sliding is rampant.

Meteor Blades's picture
Posted by Meteor Blades (not verified) on 7 December 2005 - 4:09pm
I really like the notion

I really like the notion that because he once wrote he's a feminist, he is. Asshole is a perfectly reasonable epithet, it's not gender-specific, and it gets the point a cross just as well. Of course, labeling him as such might just be giving him the satisfaction...

Josh's picture
Posted by Josh (not verified) on 7 December 2005 - 5:57pm
Ah, one of my favorite subjects

I challenge people to substitute the term "morally correct" or even "correct" for "politically correct." It is wrong to denigrate women, regrdless of the reason. It is wrong to call women men, even though I have feminist friends who do it. I also have a problem with using sexual parts of either gender to denigrate someone. By using sexual terms to mean really terrible things, we are saying we think sex is bad.

I had a young hip friend tell me that someone was a "douchebag." "That's out of line," I told him. "No, you don't understand," he said. "This guy really is a douchebag. "No, you don't understand," I said. "You're saying there's something wrong with my vagina."

your name here's picture
Posted by your name here (not verified) on 7 December 2005 - 10:16pm
Happpend to find this

Tripped over this.... skimming old files

Wow..

An abomination I tell you!

How DARE someone take their own brand of immature self-serving drivel

and hide it behind a word like "Feminism".Why, it's like they were

seeking justification for usurping the language and well established principals of others to promote their individual personal tantrums.

Oh, the humanity....!

I say-reword the passage to suit personally approved "politicly corrected" dogma and justify it by um...oh, I know, "Translation-"(it takes sooo much less effort than "My take on this is...." or "I believe this is misguided for the following reasons....") just like other recognised and respected pundits do!(like..NOT)

CaptDMO's picture
Posted by CaptDMO (not verified) on 8 December 2005 - 6:36am
Not "politically correct"

...but simply not hypocritical.

Of course, it's only "politically correct" if you don't give a shit about the other person. Then, of course, you're being oppressed for not being able to disparage someone according to your prejudices and bigotries. Heaven forbid!

Posted by media girl on 8 December 2005 - 7:39am
I hope that I can seem to

I hope that I can seem to you to be less of a jerk than your correspondent because, although I tend to disagree with part of your position, I do give a damn what you think. That said, here goes...

I've wondered why 'bitch' is a hard word for many people to relinquish, including many confident, non-traditional women. (I don't go around using it but I do sometimes feel vindicated when I hear someone described that way.) It seems odd to suggest that all these users are motivated by gender bias, although some surely are. My explanation would be that one often means something more specific than criticizing the recipient of the term for being a woman -- specifically, that a persona of sweetness or apparent sympathy, in accord with traditional notions of True Womanhood and congruent with the nurturing and caregiving roles still disproportionately and unjustly assigned to women, is belied by subsequent behavior. A juxtaposition of femininity with meanness gives the term an added sting or efficacy that wouldn't attach to the term 'jerk' or a gender-neutral equivalent. My interpretation would also help explain why some feminists have tried to appropriate the term as containing positive implications in some instances (cf. the magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture). So, insofar as this idea is persuasive as an explanation of what is sometimes meant by the term, does that change how you view the term in some of its applications?

William's picture
Posted by William (not verified) on 8 December 2005 - 1:05pm
To be honest

The word "bitch" doesn't bother me in itself. It's just how this guy self-righteously defends his childish usage of it on the basis of being an arrogant ass and, presumably, a feminist. If he didn't start whining, I wouldn't have said anything, probably.

Posted by media girl on 8 December 2005 - 4:56pm
Pardon me

Nice. It's great that you feel it's cool to call me a sexist prick for the use of a word, when you really just meant you didn't like the way I said it. Very fair that you would distill me down to a single post and suggest that I'm just a typical overly-empowered "macho" (which is hilarious) white male who loves to patronizes women, gays and (why not?) minorities, especially when you say now the word "doesn't bother you in itself." I really appreciate that.

Thanks for taking the time to read, though.

nitpicker's picture
Posted by nitpicker (not verified) on 8 December 2005 - 9:31pm
Search this entire thread

...and you will find no other mention of that p-word, except in your comment.

I find it amusing that here we are, how many days later, and you still can't let this go. Two comments for us! My goodness! Nobody can say you're not getting good mileage out of a word.

Posted by media girl on 8 December 2005 - 11:17pm
I think that

you are being a tad hypersensitive.

Josh's picture
Posted by Josh (not verified) on 8 December 2005 - 4:11pm
I still enjoy

I still enjoy reading your site, but I think that jumping down someone's throat every time they use the word "bitch", especially someone who most likely agrees with you on almost all feminist issues, is counterproductive.

Josh's picture
Posted by Josh (not verified) on 8 December 2005 - 4:36pm
See my response above

I take issue with his inane attempt at self-justification, not his use of the word in itself. If he weren't so self-righteous about it, it would have been pretty much a non-issue to me. In other words: He was asking for it.

Posted by media girl on 8 December 2005 - 4:57pm
Asking for it

The excuse of many a sophistic, self-righteous rationalizer: He/she/it/they were "asking for it."

nitpicker's picture
Posted by nitpicker (not verified) on 8 December 2005 - 9:36pm
What kind of...

..."feminist" calls a woman not only a bitch, but a "stupid, stupid bitch." That's not even the kind of shit most women say to each jokingly. That's just hateful trash. What kind of "feminist" starts in on a woman's weight, her hair, her clothes when discussing her politics? What the hell does that have to do with anything? Bringing Ann Coulter's gender into the conversation, when her politics/words/opinions provide us with so much already, is just lazy and sexist. Call yourself a “feminist� ‘til the cows come home, but clearly it ain’t true.

bomboniera's picture
Posted by bomboniera on 9 December 2005 - 12:51pm
Who knows?

I don't know whether some of his friends are gay, but I know him...and I'm pretty sure HE'S gay. So maybe he's his own best friend?

makemelaugh's picture