Wal-Mart plan: Hire 'em young, don't keep 'em very long

Comments

I try to buy as locally as I possibly can

To a place that returns money to the community. Having said that, it is increasingly hard to do as all the mom and pops get priced out. OY

The Heretik's picture
Posted by The Heretik on 26 October 2005 - 8:39pm
As a member of a union, I

As a member of a union, I have a moral obligation to my organized brothers and sisters to not only avoid Wal-Mart, but to hassle them as much as possible..

On that note, I'd like to recommend - if you have one near you - Costco. They have good prices, and yet many of the stores are unionized. The Costco stores that are not union pay a decent wage and offer affordable healthcare plans.

Costco!

I also try to shop locally whenever and wherever I can.. I've never liked Target, just because 99% of their merch. seems to be from China.

PeggyArcher's picture
Posted by PeggyArcher (not verified) on 26 October 2005 - 10:29pm
I thought Costco was Target

Am I wrong? They always seem to be in the same shopping centers. I suppose I could look it up.

Posted by media girl on 26 October 2005 - 11:21pm
No, they are seperate enitites.

And costco is a very good company to work for. Treats it's employees well, pays well and it gives to the Democrates. Costco has been held up as the anti-walmart.

hoopla's picture
Posted by hoopla (not verified) on 27 October 2005 - 12:46pm
That's good to know

Also, I recall Target also was getting high marks for challenging Wal-Mart while paying their employees much more. But now with their "pharmacists can play doctor" policy, Target lost its glow.

Posted by media girl on 27 October 2005 - 1:17pm
what am i asking?

and what i think im really asking is at what point does economic self interest outweigh social economic good. and i think the reason im asking this is i know women who arent in CA who aren't in washington state who live in BFE (bum fuck egypt) and are disabled and on fixed incomes that approximate 1200 bucks a month and who cant AFFORD to shop at whole foods.

so, i guilt myself out. how the hell do i guilt them?

short answer is, i don't. shopping at wal-mart might not be the crime, depending on circumstance.

being wal-mart is!