The politics of hubris

Comments

Very nicely summarized.

Very nicely summarized. Especially the attempts to redirect the conversation -- whether out of ignorance or out of deliberate obtuseness -- to a debate about the ad.

It's the sexism, stupids!

Rana's picture
Posted by Rana (not verified) on 13 June 2005 - 4:25pm
It IS the sexism, stupid.

How can the Kos men possibly be so stupid? Are they really trying to throw all the smart women out of the party? Do they not realize how much of the WORK we do?!!

I have never been so tempted to leave the Democratic party. Never. This comes on top of months of watching the Democrats do absolutely nothing! The seem to be so beaten down they can't summon the will to do something! The one guy who steps out of the box, Dean, gets creamed by the media with no support from the Democratic leadership.

I think they're really tired. I think they are so tired that they are going to turn the whole damn party over to the DLC because at least those guys have a lot of energy and money and strategies. Of course the DLC represents everything the grassroots of the party is vehemently opposed to.

Combined with the weather, this week is working out to be a real downer.

Jen's picture
Posted by Jen (not verified) on 16 June 2005 - 7:32pm
Why, shucks, Tom Sawyer!
Yeah. We're just being "huffy." Pardon me, Steve, but you can kiss my huffy pumps. Yet I look at $6500/week from Blogads and see your point. How dare us amateurs question the professionals! Of course! It's towards the end of his rant that he shows is cards:

Let's do the math! $6500/week x 52 weeks/year = $338,000/year and everyone else does all the labor!

I understand Kos has to by one of those expensive serves - do you take straight line depreciation on that, sum of the years digits, or double declining balance, Kos? A cool third of a million on a business that can be run out of a small office - nay an extra bedroom in the home.

Kos paints himself into a corner with his rhetoric and his boys come out to help - and it's all white wash.

Posted by Matsu on 13 June 2005 - 4:30pm
Filthy Lucre

The rest of the Kos incident is between Kos and the Kos Kommunity, but I have to say I would come down a bit more on Kos's side in terms of the Blogad; a thousand dollars of ad revenue is not something to sneeze at.

That said ... he probably could have handled his readers with a bit more of a deft touch.

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 13 June 2005 - 5:28pm
Evil is the root of all money

Or so said Alfred E. Newman. Of course people should be paid for their work. But the crime of Hubris.

Over and over ... "but they're paying me, ma! Doesn't that mean for something?" It was Brain Tracey that said "sales is the oldest profession. Now there are those who think something else is the "oldest profession," but that's just a subset of sales."

Not to get all maudlin, but I remember the beginning of the film "Nixon" and the Biblical warning about gaining the world and losing one's soul.

Like in the original Star Trek series and NOMAD. "I am perfect. Whatever is perfect, must be destroyed." Female units are illogical. Yet NOMAD goes around killing off the crew. NOMAD thinks it knows what is right. It is not that we illogical female units are always right - we aren't. It is NOMAD's assertion that only he is right.

Like Nixon and NOMAD and the rest, these hold the seeds of the destruction.

Posted by Matsu on 13 June 2005 - 5:55pm
All about the Benjamins

Morgan Sloat/Morgan of Orris answered this in Stephen King and Peter Straub's The Talisman: "It profits a man the world."

I'm probably a bit more mercenary than many people are, but it seems to me that Kos needs a good accountant and a PR person; the accountant to calculate for him the likely lost revenue for yanking the blog ad versus the likely lost revenue if he keeps it up, and the PR person to teach him how to relate better to his audience.

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 13 June 2005 - 6:16pm
I am an entrepreneur

...and I don't begrudge anyone's right to make a living, or even get rich. Markos could be a gazillionaire from his blog for all I care. But to use the crude but apt saying, "Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining."

If he'd have just said, "I hear you, but it's a high-paying ad and I want the money," at least he'd be a bit more honest to his community (who generate the traffic that he profits by), and the whole thing would have been forgotten by now.

What Kos and Gilliard and other cauvinism apologists failed to learn from Lakoff is that if you negate a frame, you reinforce it. Consider:

"I am not a crook."

"I did not have sex with that woman."

"There was no previous plan to invade."

"I'm not stupid."

All they do is reinforce the impression, right or wrong.

Posted by media girl on 13 June 2005 - 6:46pm
Well I DO...

have a problem with someone claiming to be a blogger and getting rich off of it. If other people do the work and he gets all the money and glory, that's called a pimp.

If he's getting paid for his work, he's a writer, columnist, commentator, but he isn't a blogger anymore and I'm sick of him speaking for those of us who write because we have something to say that isn't getting said. I pay for my site out of my very limited pocket, because what I have to say is not mainstream enough to get advertising, and that's ok, but don't expect the rest of us to feel sorry for this privileged asshole. His "apology" was hardly sincere, and any of you who commented about unshaven legs is showing your own ass as well. It doesn't matter if you hide behind an elephant or a donkey if deep down you're still a pig.

Let us keep in mind, all you "Progressives" that the bottom line you are advocating for is the same excuse the Republicans use to corrupt government, destroy the environment, sell unsafe drugs, destroy foreign nations and kill innocent women and children. Kos' very considerable profit doesn't make him less accountable - if anything, he's one of the few that has the luxury to BE principled, yet this is how he chooses to behave.

I'm very serious, ladies - I don't think we have more than a handful of male friends in this blogosphere and we are only hurting ourselves by giving them links. Let's take Kos' own advice - the best thing to do is IGNORE THEM and they'll go away - away from the rankings in Google, away from the top at Alexa, you name it.

Not one more man gets a link from me without actual, positive works where women are concerned. In the blogosphere, as in life, we outnumber the bastards. For once in our lives, let's use that number to our own advantage rather than pumping up those who would pimp us out for profit, or notoriety, or votes.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 13 June 2005 - 10:29pm
Damn, Morgaine, well

Damn, Morgaine, well said!

Yes, I too was wonsering when the hell "but I make *money* out of it!!!" became an acceptable excuse for progressives to use....but then again, that's returning to the more-than-debunked idea that it was the ad that started this off and not Kos' blatant misogyny.

"It doesn't matter if you hide behind an elephant or a donkey if deep down you're still a pig."

Quite.

Crys T's picture
Posted by Crys T (not verified) on 14 June 2005 - 5:35am
What did you expect?

Daily Kos is a capitalist venture? Pimping his political stance?

Thanks for the outline of the conflict... since I don't read money-making ventures like Daily Kos I was interested in how ads work in the development of online collectives.

Thivai's picture