Politics of cowardice

Comments

Federalism

*Sigh*

Can't say I'm a big fan of resolutions like this. First, the resolution itself accomplishes nothing. Second, what, precisely, should the Senate do about lynchings? As near as I can tell, a federal anti-lynching statute would not be constutional under Lopez.

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 14 June 2005 - 6:19am
Not quite

When you have an organization crossing state lines like the KKK, it becomes a federal issue.

But the real outrage is precisely that even though the resolution had no power -- it was simply an expression of remorse -- and yet 20 Senators could not or would not sign on.

States' rights? I sincerely doubt that this was a principled protest, where those dissenters were saying, "This is really a states' issue." Besides, even that kind of quibbling over an apology speaks volumes.

Posted by media girl on 14 June 2005 - 9:41am
Federalism

You're right on the KKK kount, I think, particularly if KKK can be made complicit in a given lyhcing. The Senate's lynching apology is one of those things that relaly annoys me -- a rather empty gesture undertaken chiefly to serve one person's (in this case, Sen. Allen's) political interests. Not my cup of tea, if you know what I mean.

The federalism concern, though, is something that's crept upon me in the last four years or so, particularly in the context of Morrison, Lopez, and Raich. Increasingly, I am of the opinion that Wichard v. Filburn either needs to be curtailed, or else put out to pasture in favor of a less expansive grant of federal legislative power.

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 14 June 2005 - 9:50am
When you have a noose

...and rebel flag in your office, it tends to send a message. Allen's trying to make nice. I'm sure his good ol' buddies wish he never brought it up.

I am not a lawywer, so case law citations means as much to me as quantum physics. (Actually I think I'd understand some references to quantum physics.)

Posted by media girl on 14 June 2005 - 9:56am
References

Sorry ... the cases have been defined elsewhere far better than I could define them here, but suffice it to say that Wickard, a Depression-era case involving the production of wheat, opened the door to a great deal of today's federal regulation regarding any number of areas.

Lopez and Morrison, by contrast, were two cases in the 1990s that purported to rein this in with a different test for Interstate Commerce regulation. Raich, the recent medical marijuana decision, confirmed that the federal government does, indeed, have broad powers under the Commerce Clause and Necessary and Proper Clause ... a holding that confirms, again, that Lopez and Morrison weren't as revolutionary as some commentators thought.

--|PW|--

Sen. James Talent [R-MO]

Sen. John Thune [R-SD]

Sen. David Vitter [R-LA]

Sen. John Warner [R-VA]

Sen. Ron Wyden [D-OR]

Posted by Matsu on 14 June 2005 - 3:46pm
See, I feel conflicted here...

Because I'm a Southern girl, through and through, but I'm not racist in the usual sense of the word. I have a rebel flag around here somewhere, and I promise, it doesn't mean I support lynching or slavery. It means I'm proud of where I'm from and that I stand with my neighbors against the oppression we face from Northerners - and yes, we do. I'm thoroughly sick of telling people where I'm from and getting cracks about whether I have teeth or not. I'm sick of having to dampen my accent to be taken seriously. I'm sick of people needing to know that I was educated in the North to listen to me. Most of all, I'm sick of crackers with nooses in their office holding office.

Any asshole that didn't sign on to that resolution needs to be removed from office. Period.

Those people that wouldn't vote for it don't belong in American government. Same for the people trying to justify torture. There's just no place for that kind of behavior in a plural democracy.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident" - it just doesn't get any more plain than that.

Are there any recall motions happening in their home states?

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 15 June 2005 - 2:45am