Hello! It's not just about "privacy"

Comments

Privacy

The thing is, you pretty much have to put a lot of this under the rubric of privacy. Keep in mind that a number of individual freedoms are derived from the general right to privacy.

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 16 June 2005 - 7:17pm
Privacy doesn't even begin to cover it.

I don't want to be forced to breed. By anyone.

I guess that's a privacy issue, I don't want someone invading my privacy and forcing me to bear a child.

But it's much much more than that. It's about human rights.

How are you going to force me to continue a pregnancy I don't want? Are you going lock me in prison to keep me from aborting. What are you going to do with the baby? Sell it. Grow it and put it to work? Maybe I will need to prove to you every month that I'm not pregnant so you will know if I'm illegally aborting. What kind of sick world is that going to be?

anonymous lurker's picture
Posted by anonymous lurker (not verified) on 17 June 2005 - 3:20am
Where is this right to privacy?

Is it even in the Constitution?

Posted by media girl on 16 June 2005 - 7:18pm
Great post, and no privacy

Great post, and no privacy is never mentioned in the Constitution.

DreamOfPeace's picture
Posted by DreamOfPeace (not verified) on 16 June 2005 - 9:30pm
Privacy = secrets? That

Privacy = secrets? That doesn't compute for me.

To me privacy = individual liberty. There may be secrets that are being hidden. There may not be. Either is irrelevant because privacy means it's nobody else's damn business to begin with.

kevin's picture
Posted by kevin (not verified) on 16 June 2005 - 10:28pm
Not in today's America

Privacy is a privilege to be sacrificed for patriotism. At least that seems to be the dominant thinking. If you want privacy, that must mean you have something to hide.

I would agree with you, but after the Patriot Act, privacy is seen as a security threat. That's why the FBI must be able to look at what books you've checked out of the library, or be able to snoop through your home without telling you. That's why your luggage is searched on the assumption that you're a terrorist.

I wish it weren't so.

Posted by media girl on 17 June 2005 - 12:10am
Privacy and the Constitution

This is the last place where I expected people to demand an originalist reading of the Constitution!

Alright, if you're curious about the right to privacy, I encourage you to read Griswold v. Connecticutt, 381 U.S. 479 (1965), which found that access to contraceptives was part of a married couple's right to privacy.

Here's the money quote:

The foregoing cases suggest that specific guarantees in the Bill of Rights have penumbras, formed by emanations from those guarantees that help give them life and substance. Various guarantees create zones of privacy. The right of association contained in the penumbra of the First Amendment is one, as we have seen. The Third Amendment in its prohibition against the quartering of soldiers "in any house" in time of peace without the consent of the owner is another facet of that privacy. The Fourth Amendment explicitly affirms the "right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures." The Fifth Amendment in its Self-Incrimination Clause enables the citizen to create a zone of privacy which government may not force him to surrender to his detriment. The Ninth Amendment provides: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." [citation omitted]

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 17 June 2005 - 5:40am
New Project

I'm setting up a project right now that combines two issues:

Women's Autonomy and Sexual Sovereignty.

Privacy doesn't begin to cover the issue, though I believe we have the right because it is not limited by the Constitution. This is not about keeping secrets, or modesty. This is about whether women are people or not.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 17 June 2005 - 2:03pm
This sounds great

I hope you'll share the details here when the time comes. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Posted by media girl on 17 June 2005 - 2:19pm
Tenth Amendment and Who's Human or Not?

Part of the old-line conservative movement was the Tenth Amendment which the wingnuts have conveniently forgotten and I would say this is powerful insofar as privacy, but I do agree the issue is whether females are humans.

Largely because women were not fully human at the time the Constitution was written and blacks were only 60-percent human - it says so in the Constitution, the humanity of non-whites and females has always been a bit tentative.

I think women, especially, want this clarified and not all of them frame the issue identically. Feminism is not monolithic.

But many of us do think the issues is larger than the privacy issue.

Posted by Matsu on 17 June 2005 - 2:23pm
It isn't a privacy issue, IMO

Perhaps. But the state cannot force a woman to remain pregnant. It can prohibit abortion, and in a less-free society it might imprison her, providing her with only sound nutritional food and witholding cigarettes and alcohol.

But she could still miscarry. The only power to continue the pregnancy lies in the woman's own will to have the child--and with God.

Anyone who knows where babies come from can prevent herself, under most circumstances, from becoming pregnant.

That is, I might have a spacecraft in my belly, but there are sound strategies for keeping little aliens out of it, and they work 99% of the time.

Attila Girl's picture