My own blasphemy

Comments

Popalooza!

Dear Media Girl,

I love your post. I also really admire your sensitivity to the religious sensibilities of others. I mean your "religious content" warning, of course.

I only wish I could be so kind. I used to be. In fact, there was a time when I would have stood up and defended the blond haired, blue eyed Republikan Jesus. (Not to be confused with Wal-Mart Jesus who usually shows up in early November to help get gross sales up for the annual shareholder statements)

So now we have a Pope, arguably the most powerful religious icon in all of Christendom, who knows the Horst Wessel, that SS marching song that the Hitler Youth loved to sing as they marched in perfect columns down the streets of Nuremburg and intimidated the "Juden swine."

Yeah, I know, he only belonged for a brief period. . . and "Tex" Williams was only a member of the Manson Family for a brief period.

This world has gone crazy. Sometimes I wonder why I even bothered to quit smoking.

And then I shake off the doom and gloom stuff and get busy trying to do the next thing in front of me that, if done passionately and lovingly, might just make things a little bit better. It's really hard not to RSVP on all the daily invitations to hate, isn't it?

Your blog helps me purge the toxins from my system.

Thanks, Lauren

laurentayloris's picture
Posted by laurentayloris on 21 April 2005 - 12:45am
Nail on the head.

You hit it perfectly. I was going to have a go at the church this morning but one of my blogger mates nailed it as well.

Nick

Nick's picture
Posted by Nick (not verified) on 21 April 2005 - 2:24am
Not Blasphemy

MediaGirl, your opinions are enjoyable, and apparently you are not Catholic. I was married to a "good" Catholic girl for nearly 13 years, I being Protestant, had a hard time dealing with Catholic opinions. But now I have faith but not religion.

BTW Blasphemy is defined by Websters as

Main Entry: blas·phe·my

Pronunciation: 'blas-f&-mE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -mies

1 a : the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God b : the act of claiming the attributes of deity

2 : irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

The office of Pope may be sacred, but you were not irreverent towards the office. The man maybe, the church policies perhaps, remember man invented organized religion not God.

Moopaw

Moopaw's picture
Posted by Moopaw on 21 April 2005 - 8:50am
Spam trap

Sorry that your comments both were caught in the spam filter. It's still a bit jumpy from all the trackback spam that was coming in.

Like you, I see a distinction between Church and faith. But that doesn't fly, especially with the Catholic dogma that says, among other things, that God does not hear prayers that aren't submitted through proper channels. (Why would God need a beaurocracy?) I did not mean to offend anyone except hypocrites, but then again, as a writer I know that intentions don't mean doodlysquat when it comes to what people take away from the text.

Anyway, thanks for the words of support. :)

Posted by media girl on 21 April 2005 - 10:28am
You are right on with the anc

You are right on with the ancient belief system and the asinine logic that people use to keep adhereing to those belief systems.

Ole Blue the Heretic's picture
Posted by Ole Blue the Heretic (not verified) on 21 April 2005 - 12:54pm
Yes, there is major blasphemy

And it's all coming from the Vatican

Diane's picture
Posted by Diane (not verified) on 22 April 2005 - 2:49pm
Infallible blasphemy

Let's keep things in perspective.

Posted by media girl on 22 April 2005 - 5:29pm