Tarot for the Democrats - A Serious Third Party Emerges

Comments

Cheese curds

My cheese curds this morning told me that both Bush & Cheney would not live out their term, so who are you going to believe? Perhaps work to help change the situation for the better?

VJ's picture
Posted by VJ (not verified) on 17 January 2005 - 1:58am
Exactly

I think working to make things better is what the Third Party has in mind because it isn't just Bush and Cheney - the flow out of Bush Sr. and Reagan and even back to Nixon and his Southern Strategy which was his understanding of how to put the Red states together and on top of that push a national agenda.

Perot misfired, but if we look at the popular vote, we see he was way beyond Nader. Perot has a vision. Nader is a gadfly.

Generation X-ers are not worried about "Gods, guns, and gays." These are issues the affluent can worry about, "luxury problems," as someone once called them.

Someone whose job as a computer help-desk person just went to India or someone whose manufacturing job jest went to China is not going to be worried quite the same way about those issues as someone whose job is safe.

The full impact of the shift in jobs will be linked to demographics. The baby boom, according to the Bureau of the Census ended with those born in 1963. The First Generation X-ers ate officially as old as 42 years old and some would say actually older and the boom probably ended in about 1958.

These Gen X-ers will heading for 50 by 2112 with their own kids coming out of high school and college, and with their own jobs on the line. The boomers will not enjoy the retirements their parents did and they will feel squeezed.

What will happen is that there is going to be a re-articulation of the American Dream. For Gen X-er's the Cold War is something from history books and the reality of a world where the economic locus in in Asia will be much more of a concern.

The Third Party will speak to this. Perot spoke to it against North American Free Trade Association, NAFTA, and while I do not see protectionism making a resurgence, bread and butter issues will drive X-ers toward pocketbook issues.

Posted by Matsu on 17 January 2005 - 7:03am
A new party?

Interesting reading especially with all the major arcana cards popping up. I wonder if the recent meeting of George Soros and other party fatcats reflects the beginning of some Perot-like splinter within the party.

Dave Schuler's picture
Posted by Dave Schuler (not verified) on 17 January 2005 - 9:48am
"The Blog Party" Candidate and Virtual Political Meetings

"The Blog Party" convention is currently being held in virtual space and people are participating. The buzz is growing. Who its candidate will be is hard to say, but it has clout and direction. It doesn't need to have a miltimillion dollar pageant that everyone (more or less, save for the party faithful) tune out.

The days of the balloons falling amid screaming delegates is going the way of smoke filled rooms. Political conventions at one time actually DID select a candidate, just as at one time, very fleetingly, the Electoral College did select the President.

In the 1940's the political convention morphed into a pageant - an anointing as the real politics shifted to the precincts where two or more years ahead of time, the moves were made to get the right kind, and I do mean (far) Right-kind, of candidates to run.

Virtual conventions will not do it all, for blog-power cannot get non-bloggers involved, but if bloggers present a candidate who speaks to the issues that rise out of the meritogracy of blogs, there indeed might be a shift in how political decisions are made and non-bloggers might say -"hey, someone's finally saying what I was already thinking," and it's not in the self-anointed, so-called, mainstream media that is sold to the highest bidder..

In the last election the blog/internet concept was taken out for a spin. It will become progressively more powerful.

The political process of conventions is not even 20th century - it's 19th century, and here we are in the 21st century. No wonder the people who have 19th century machinery can't think in 21st century terms.

If the Democrats were smart, they'd become the internet party. Whoever become the internet party will command a lot of clout and be able to mobilize more political power at less cost per vote than the existing parties.

Look how far and fast we've come in ten years. The next ten. Holy URL, Batman!

Matsu

Posted by Matsu on 17 January 2005 - 10:10am
One aspect I noticed:

Hi, Matsu-

I've been reading cards for almost 34 years. Your reading of this throw is very good, but I see one important aspect that you didn't address. I'm wondering if you'll agree with what I see.

The covering card is the Empress, the Foundation is the World which features a Goddess, the Queen of Cups crowns and the future is the Ace of wands. I see the answer coming from women. The Democrats had/have everything they needed to succeed, and they gave it up because they're too comfortable. They'd rather have the money they make from special interests than win. They're afraid of rocking the boat. The Queen is love, positive human emotion, mothering. The Ace is sexual energy, new beginnings, a rebirth that will leave the Democrats counting their money and their losses.

Women are the key to a vital shift toward progressive leadership.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 17 January 2005 - 7:14pm
Good point

My mother taught me tarot and she was taught by the Gypsies back in the old country. I've been reading tarots since 1959 - as a small fry.

On Daily Kos someone else read these cards and did a good job, except they switched the Significator to the Knight of Cups which changes everything.

I agree on the Empress having the positive characteristics and were the Significator a card such as Ace of Wands or Queen of Cups or the World, the tarot would have been more positive.

For me, the cards have come to mean things to me. There are books out there and even computer programs that do the work of it, but for me, the cards kinda, sorts, "speak" to me and over the years I know what certain combos mean and those two knights together - not good. To me this makes the Queen the wife of the Emperor and hence the high Arcana version of the Queen of Sword. Had it been the High Priestess or the Queen of Wands, I would have seen women taking the helm more.

But a third party does not spell doom. On Daily Kos someone though I was speaking to a splinter party when, in fact, the Democrats that shift rightward will be the splinter party. The bulk of the progressive (The Blue Party) will coalesce.

This is not a dark outcome.

Tarot is whimsy and I truly hope aspects of your interpretation, which I think are valid, also show up as well.

Posted by Matsu on 17 January 2005 - 8:02pm
I agree

I agree that this is not a dark outcome. I've even been asking if anyone knows whether anti-trust laws can be applied to political parties. I think the Progressives need to leave the Democrats in the dust unless they come back to the Left where they belong.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 17 January 2005 - 10:05pm
Cool Beans!

Anti-Trust Laws applied to political parties. I like it!

The tarot is saying that is the Democrat leaderships swings right, we'll have a one-party system. Large political blocs form when large constituencies go unrepresented. Perot was an example of that.

Posted by Matsu on 18 January 2005 - 4:02am