Support from my family? Ha, she laughs bitterly.

Comments

Good for you

Congrats. I'm glad all of your hard work is coming to fruition. :)

Christy's picture
Posted by Christy (not verified) on 11 September 2005 - 10:29am
Your father sounds like mine

Funny how someone can suddenly be so much the expert in fields of which he has no knowledge. Funny how some people feel they are expressing their love by kicking you, especially when you're down. I know how that feels.

But few people understand the entrepreneurial spirit, or the idea of taking a chance on a dream. Hope the event goes great! Looking forward to seeing the new website!

Posted by media girl on 11 September 2005 - 11:15am
Time for a change

Some men are capable of having children, but not capable of being fathers. Why continue to torture yourself with your male parent when it seems unlikely he will ever change?

I would be willing to informally adopt you. References from my adult son and daughter are available on request.

K. Ron Silkwood's picture
Posted by K. Ron Silkwood (not verified) on 11 September 2005 - 11:49am
Bad daddy! No father's day tie for you!

I'm sorry your dad talks that way to you. With a father like that, I understand why you spent so much of your childhood in your room, hiding!

My dad is nice and loving to everyone else, but says some pretty snotty stuff to me. I don't know why he resents me, and why he wants to "knock me down" a peg. But I don't deserve it, and I don't need it. I'm cordial, but I try not to talk to him.

D Bunny's picture
Posted by D Bunny on 11 September 2005 - 12:53pm
CRABS IN A BASKET

On another message board we were talking about how people with a drinking problem are challenged when they choose to take on their addiction by their former drinking buddies. A friend called it crabs in a basket. when one crab tries to climb out, the rest will pull him back in.

That seems to be father's issue.

I'm trying to shake it off, but that includes ranting about it. And biking 12 miles today. I didn't know I had it in me. I must have been fueled by anger. heh.

And I'll take that adoption and raise you an entrepreneur. :-)

www.bitchingandmoaning.org

gballsout's picture
Posted by gballsout on 11 September 2005 - 7:10pm
D Bunny

I laughed out loud when I read your title. thanks for that!

www.bitchingandmoaning.org

gballsout's picture
Posted by gballsout on 11 September 2005 - 7:17pm
G- MIne, too.

Hey, G -

I tried the same thing, only it was running a fan magazine, working with local bands, trying to start a record label and managing a band full time. This was after I left my "regular" job and was just trying to find a way to survive. My parents did the same thing. They're only interested in how much something pays. If I get published, the first question now is "what did it pay" and they are uninterested in anything I do or care about.

You just have to out-live them. It sounds as if you're getting positive feedback from people who matter, so focus on that and forget about your dad. It's his loss that he raised a bright, creative daughter and isn't smart enough to appreciate her.

Support the Women's Autonomy and Sexual Sovereignty Movements