missionary position

Comments

What Jesus Said About Homosexuality

I was in Harvard Square and there was this guy handing out a flier. On it in big letters it read "What Jesus Said About Homosexuality." Inside it was blank, except the words. "That's right. Jesus never said anything about homosexuality."

I got snookered, but a big laugh, anyway.

Also, come to think about it, Jesus never got married and hung out with a bunch of men, none of who seemed to be married either, or if they were, they were not off doing what these Mormons wanted them to do.

And Judas? Was he not called "the beloved." Hmm. The plot thickens....

Posted by Matsu on 21 July 2005 - 3:47pm
Theories

I once met somebody who theorized that Jesus + 12 apostles = 13 = coven. An interesting theory that I haven't heard since.

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 21 July 2005 - 5:40pm
I'm not worried about being accountable to God

...or the Goddess or gods or whatever.

I'm much more concerned about people who claim to speak for Him (or Her or them or whatever). Last I checked, Dobson and Falwell and Robertson and all these holier-than-thous weren't in the Bible, either. So who died and appointed them judges of us all?

Posted by media girl on 21 July 2005 - 4:43pm
There are several theories about Jesus.

Some say he was gay. There was a book with that theory out not too long ago. Some say he was a Witch, as Pennywit suggests, or more accurately that he and Mary Magdalene were Priest and Priestess in an Isis and Osiris cult, which is quite likely given the time and the place. Or he may have practiced a form of Jewish Mysticism. Some say he was an Essene Rabbi. Some say he never existed at all. There is no physical or historical evidence except the scrolls, so it's all conjecture, as is most religous musing.

I'm tired of people trying to legislate laws from a book written a couple of thousand years ago for nomadic tribes of Hebrews. Even in their scripture, Jesus specifies that he is only savior of the Jews. The guy who extended it to Gentiles never knew Jesus, which makes me suspect. I'm a strict constructionist when it comes to scripture.

I'm not concerned what Goddess thinks of me because I'm part of her, as is everyone and everything. It's what I think of myself that counts.

Yes, the people who claim a deity is speaking through them can be scary. I do believe that people can be divinely inspired, but they can also be delusional. When in doubt, I go by their actions and anyone who thinks that sex among consenting adults is bad has no credibility with me at all.

Also, I've read the Bible, and nowhere in it does it say the following:

Blessed are the warmongers.

The Rich shall inherit the Earth.

"Blow them away in the name of the Lord" - that's Falwell, btw.

It does say things about giving everything you have to the poor, "Blessed are the Peace Makers" and "Love they neighbor as thyself".

Those are philosophies I can get behind, no matter who said them.

In preparation for future close encounters of the fundamentalist kind, you might want to read my articles How to talk to a Christian - because we have to, whether we want to or not. and A Crash course in the Christian Supremacist Movement.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 22 July 2005 - 5:26am
On a lighter note ...

I always recommend Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal for a more humorous look at the life of Jesus.

And me? I don't worry so much about the divine. I'm a godless atheist. I used to be a godless commie, but I got kicked out after I confused Karl with Harpo.

It was an honest mistake. Really.

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 22 July 2005 - 6:11am
Hee. That made me laugh.

Pennywit - are you involved with the Brights movement? I'm very interested to see how it affects the rights of Atheists.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 23 July 2005 - 12:12am
Brights ..

Can't say I'm involved with them. I found a long time ago that I'm too cynical to be a very good activist. I also find that I don't particularly subscribe to a "Bright" or "atheist" constituency. Slight problem with us centrists, now that I think about it. A lot of us are incredibly ornery, iconoclastic, and downright disagreeable, so it's really difficult to create a constituency.

--|PW|--

pennywit's picture
Posted by pennywit on 23 July 2005 - 7:55am
Well if you know you're cynical...

you might at least refrain from going around pissing on other people's attempts to organize. Activism is in short supply and desperately needed as it is. You have a constitutency among people who don't care enough to vote or find actual news. I suppose if you have nothing to lose, you can afford to be passive and crusty. Some of us have our bodies, our freedom and even our lives at stake. It's a little harder to be reasonable when it's YOUR rights in danger.

Posted by Morgaine Swann on 24 July 2005 - 10:49pm
I agree about activism

Over 40% of the eligible voters in this country never vote. Some may find that reassuring. I find it rather appalling that so many feel so disenfranchised that they don't even bother trying.

I think people need to wake up. The TV show is ending.

Posted by media girl on 25 July 2005 - 7:25am