Women's Rights Groups Announce Joint Campaign to Block Alito

Comments

What next?

I don't think they will be able to stop Alito. The ABA has approved him and almost all of the criticisms of him are ideological, which will not be able to override the Republican dominance. I have been looking around the internet, but I haven't been able to find anybody who has formulated a plan for what to do if ( or when) he is nominated and the court starts reversing opinions. Do you know of anyone who is formulating such a plan or is everyone caught up in the current rear guard action?

Southern Male's picture
Posted by Southern Male on 6 January 2006 - 4:50am

For your pearls of wisdom.. and blessing these ignorant persons with your sage wonderous advice.

Your God complex must be expanding expotentially...

Parker's picture
Posted by Parker (not verified) on 6 January 2006 - 7:02am
Rear guard action

You mentioned in another thread that the current authoritarian movement has been patiently applying a 60 year plan that has led to their dominance. I think you're exactly right about that. How did that plan progress?

Part of it was picking fights over ideology. Loud, nasty, public fights. It's far past time for the left to do that. It's far past time for the left to demand those who ostensibly represent us to do so. We must remove those, or threaten to remove those, who won't. It's vitally important that this fight over Alito be every bit as ideological and nasty as the Bork fight was. Rhetorical blood must flow.

Why?

Because this right-wing ideology is intellectually bankrupt. For all of the talk about how "brilliant" Alito, Scalia, Bork and Roberts are, all of their arguments rest on simple-minded tautological references to old ideas about "natural law", ideas that the Enlightenment eroded over the past several centuries. When their beliefs are made manifest, modern people, living in the modern world, reject them. Not all ... a sizable minority wishes we could move back toward more Manichean times, but it's extremely dangerous and wrongheaded to do so. So a bright light needs to be directed at what Scalito stands for. What he argues for. If he refuses to be man enough to stand up for what he believes that must also be highlighted. (I find Bork to be a reprehensible figure, but I respect him, because he has the courage of his convictions and he's willing to state them forthrightly).

It is indicative of the emptyness of the right's beliefs that they refuse to be honest about just what it is they hope to resurrect. The left MUST start to actually practice politics again. It was complacent for too long, willing to rest on its accomplishments for too long, and it allowed the center of the debate to be utterly highjacked by the reactionary right. Formulating long-term plans is important, but in order to do so it must be made clear what ground is in dispute, what we'll fight for, what we will go to war for, and this nomination should be the ground for a very robust battle. Perhaps the left will lose. Perhaps Scalito will join the cabal of patriarchical troglodites who already sit on the Court. But a battle against him will show those who hope for better to see what the terms are, who some champions might be. What we're fighting for. That there are still suffragists and freedom activists and believers in the Enlightenment. The Culture War was being fought from only one side, with modernity just tooling along without a care. That needs to stop.

Many polls show that Americans hold fundamentally progressive values. Not those fuzzy polls using words like "values" but specific polls regarding actual policies. More important than that, Americans vote w/ their wallets and their eyeballs and their bodies. They watch risque television, rent hardcore videos (a HUGE industry in dollars). They consume large amounts of drugs and alcohol. They are generally "live and let live" with their neighbors. They want to be free to follow their own sense of happiness to enrich their own lives, and don't want government or busybodies telling them what to think, what to watch, who to love. They may not be comfortable with OTHER people being free to do those things, and that's where politics comes in. There hasn't been a movement that gave VOICE to those values for many years. Grownups understand that in order for them to be free, OTHERS must be free too. Scary, but that's a simple truth. It's past time for the debate to change, and political leaders like Bernie Sanders, Howard Dean and Russ Feingold (and probably many more whose names we don't know yet) may well be the vanguard of that new voice.

I for one am thrilled to see that coalition highlighted in this post. I hope more will join, and my Senators, both on the Judiciary committee, are hearing from me about how ill-suited Scalito is to sit on the highest court in the land.

Madman in the Marketplace's picture
Posted by Madman in the M... on 6 January 2006 - 1:05pm
good point

I am not saying that there shouldn't be a fight. There should be one. I'm just wondering what is the plan if Alito is confirmed. Barring a surprise screw up on Alito's part, I personally don't think that his nomination can be stopped. The Democrats don't have the votes. Even if they did get enough votes to make it close, I'm pretty sure the Republicans would change the parliamentary rules to limit the filibuster. Virtually any fallout would be worth it to them. Getting a 5-4 majority on the Supreme Court is the culmination of a 30 year plan. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Dems can stop the Republicans. Make it painful, yes. Stop them, no.

I do think that you have hit on a good point. The Democrats need to refocus and establish a long term plan of action for regaining supremacy and prioritizing their objectives. Right now they are very unfocused and almost entirely reactive.

Southern Male's picture
Posted by Southern Male on 6 January 2006 - 5:34pm
actually

I think it would be very dangerous for the Republicans to change the rules now. I'd like to see them try. It plays fully into the theme of corruption and a willingness to change the rules on a whim for personal gain. Let them. Go to the mattresses. Enough is enough, and the Dems should go to war.

Madman in the Marketplace's picture
Posted by Madman in the M... on 6 January 2006 - 6:53pm
True

True they would take a hit, but considering their past actions I see nothing to convince me that they won't do whatever they feel is necessary.

Southern Male's picture
Posted by Southern Male on 7 January 2006 - 12:44am
Madman-in-the-marketplace,

Madman-in-the-marketplace, very cogent. I excerpted some of your comment on my blog, with a link to this thread. I hope you don't mind.

Violet Socks's picture
Posted by Violet Socks (not verified) on 6 January 2006 - 11:33pm
wow, thanks

I'm flattered, and nice blog. I'm quite serious in that belief, and sadly I understand that it will be a project of decades.

Madman in the Marketplace's picture
Posted by Madman in the M... on 7 January 2006 - 12:33am
Love the snake on the

stripes. Old Glory indeed.... ;)

Marisacat's picture